Monday 29 August 2011

French fancy ...

Bank holidays, how do you like to spend them?  They should be about fun and relaxing.  Maybe a bbq on the beach.  Reading, writing, catching up with friends.  True to form, the Welsh weather disappointed and I spent my Saturday afternoon challenging my baking skills.  Having never made anything more fancy than cake and Rhid constantly declaring his love for Café éclairs, I thought I would give it a go.  He is always bemoaning the fact that the ones you find in the UK are nothing like the ones in France so I sought a French recipe, bought a few things, spent hours getting excited and finally took the plunge making half the batch café and half chocolate (for myself).  Not perfect results, the pastry was a little knobbly and I didn't get the chocolate topping right for my chocolate éclairs, but nonetheless, quite a pleasing and tasty first attempt!  I don't think that they'll be something I make very often, although I want to try to perfect them.  They are definitely fiddly enough to qualify as a "special occasion only" treat, not to mention I would rather munch cake than choux pastry.  I have suddenly gotten the baking bug again though and have, like a nerd, just made an inventory of all my baking tins.  I now feel a bit stupid for having just shared that with the whole world!  Ooh, I feel a new baking notebook starting....



1 comment:

  1. I love your baking tin inventory! And what a beautiful image that is. I'm a big fan of the choux, myself...

    ReplyDelete